Tuesday 26 December 2017

"Oh I think Bertie needs a walk...."

Believe it or not, I, Bouncing Bertie, have at times in the past come under criticism from my owner Gail, for acting too supine.

Humans are strange creatures aren't they? They insist on crowding together at Christmas, eating and drinking too much, all in the name of seasonal good cheer, and then instead of lapping it all up, certain of them start looking for excuses to escape for a while.

It seems that there have been occasions during Christmases past when Gail has uttered the words  "I think Bertie needs a walk" to general incredulity as I lie snoring quietly in front of the fire.

Well I'm pleased to report that this year I delivered on my side of the bargain in full.

Christmas dinner at Gail's brother's Peak District house had been a drawn out affair, with me, along with my poodle cousins Percy (he' s huge you know) and Coco excluded from the dining room.

Just as Gail was scraping the bottom of her bowl of Christmas pudding and rum sauce, and wondering if there was a slow eating contest she could enter Human Granny for (to assured success) I decided to vocalise my dissatisfaction at the general state of affairs.

Some people tell me my bark is surprisingly high pitched and piercing. And insistent.

But I am sure I was not mistaken in detecting a note of relief in Gail's voice when she was able to say, without eliciting raised eyebrows and knowing glances around the table:

"Oh look it'll be dark soon and Bertie is getting restless. I really do need to take him for a good walk before driving HGY back to Nottingham..."

Gail tells me you will want to see a picture of me somewhat reluctantly posing with Coco, HGY and the two grandchildren before we left on Christmas Day. So here it is.

PS in case you are wondering, Gail did buy me a wee Christmas present, and I now know that goose tendon treats are utterly delicious.

15 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas! Yes, we dogs are often used for an excuse to leave large gatherings.....not that we mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So insightful of you Bertie. HGY looks s if she has enjoyed lunch and you certainly know how to open a WFT present. Looks like a grand time was had by all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Christmas Bertie
    I’m sure a walkies after Christmas dinner is a law isn’t it?
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    HGY looks as if she is possibly the only who was happy to be there!!! I am sure that is not the case... You ate goose for Christmas Bertie lad? How traditional!!! Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx (who is now counting days...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bertie...darlin'i ferl your pain when reading about your lovely nas that were totally ruined by Gail's insistence that you needed a walk when it was really Gail who needed one. Yes they blame us. I heard thru the grapevine that Mom recently used this Sentence 'oh we need to run on home, it is time for Madi's medicine"‼️ What in th world...I did not...I was fine.
    Any how we loved seeingyour beautiful HGY, Enormous
    Coco and your beautiful and handsome niece and nephew.
    Hugs Madi your bff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pardon the typos...auto correct has a serious Attitude today. At least it didn't change my name to Mafia...which it does several times a week
    Madi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well at least she remembered you at all and the rum sauce didn't go to her head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can tell you didn't want to sit for that photo cuz you NEEDED a walk! We think you rescued Gail BOL!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMD Bertie... what a wonderful Christmas.. we are SO glad to see HGY ... We are glad that you had a chance to Escape that HOOOOOGE POODLE.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to YOU and your Peeps...

    ReplyDelete
  10. We would have been a little leary of that big doggy!!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Bertie!!
    Good on you for making your dissatisfaction at your Human Granny known!! My mum and dad often take FAR TOO LONG eating their food (or watching TV) when I want to go for a walk...
    And also well done for escaping that big doggy!!
    Lots of festive licks, your good friend Morrie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bertie that is a nice family photo even though Coco is in the photo. Happy New Year to all Bertie.
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Goose tendon!?!?!? I have never had such a thing! I will have to put it on my Christmas list for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job helping Gail out, Bertie!! Hmmm, goose tendons?? We may have to see if they sell them around here!
    xoxo,
    Arty Jakey & Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy Bertie, you did a FABulous job of helpin' Gail! That Poodle is indeed big...bigger than even MOI! Nows, I myself, have never had the pleasure of Goose Tendons...I thinks I will puts that on my list....
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete