Friday 31 July 2015

FFHT July: My talents go unrecognised

And it's Murphy and Stanley's FFHT time again. As usual, this month's phrase is highlighted in red.


A Trip to the Office

Once upon a time, on a Thursday evening last month, Gail came home from work, gave me the customary head scratch and cheerfully asked:

"Well Bertie my dear wee chappie, do you want the Good News or the Bad News?".

Then, of course, she proceeded to give me both.

So the bad news was that Gail had to go into the office the next day, Friday, her usual day off. But the good news, she said, was that I was, "just this once" invited to accompany her.

Good news? British understatement there I think. I was so excited my tail started wagging back and forth like a nodding donkey on speed.

Gail tried to calm me down by following up with a lengthy and tedious list of the do's and don'ts of office etiquette for dogs.

Do keep out of people's way; don't bark; don't lick or nibble anyone's ankles; don't go rummaging in handbags; don't get under anyone's feet and trip them up; don't try jumping on desks; don't chew any cables; should anyone stop to give you a pat, do just sit there quietly and look appreciative.

Well I have to say all this was a little disappointing. I had secretly been hoping that Gail's colleagues, knowing about my role as Boffin to Blogville, had asked me in to solve some hitherto intractable technical problem relating to finding oil in the North Sea. Heaven knows, the petroleum industry in this part of the world is in need of some fresh ideas just now.

So I entered Gail's office, bright eyed and bushy tailed as any new recruit, all prepared to play my part but you know what?

EVERYONE IGNORED ME!

There was I, head bursting with ideas on how to sniff out the North Sea's remaining oil reserves, happy to advise on gas production issues, ready to assist with any necessary excavation work, all set to help the marketing department by sharing my social media expertise, etc. etc.

BUT NO-ONE TOOK ANY NOTICE!

I had the distinct impression these experienced and highly educated professionals from all over the world* somehow doubted my credentials. More fool them.

So after a while I got bored and wandered off. Fortunately I ran into Gail's boss, who made a big fuss of me and even took me for a little walk outside. I'll be honest with you, I was a bit wary of this lady at first, recalling how it was on her recommendation that I had Rescue Remedy squirted up my nose prior to boarding a train a couple of years ago. But I've decided to forgive her role in that unfortunate incident.

I'm pleased to report that after a few hours Gail announced we were done for the day and she took me for a nice stroll along the River Dee behind the office. 

And, my friends, that was the first time I ever visited Gail's current workplace. 


*Pictured hard at work are Hamed and Mehdi from Iran and Henk from Holland. Yes you've guessed it, Henk's the tall one.

17 comments:

  1. Dey ignored ya??? What da woof are wrong wif em?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like way way too many don'ts to me. I am glad you got to go, but I don't understand how they could have ignored you. At least you didn't have to stay home by yourself.

    Ziggy Out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know Bertie, I think that this might be a cunning ploy by Gail to have you cover for her while she takes off and has extra days off. Be careful... you don't want to be working full time. It was nice of Gail's colleagues to welcome you to the office though, even if it was rather a cool reception.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe all that co-workers were to shy to play with you and gave the advantage to say hello to a WHFT to their boss? Or maybe they felt bad because they had no trwats in their pockets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Bertie isn't it funs...well, I disobeyed ALL those office etiquette rules when I went to work wiv Mum...not rumage in handbags, really, isn't that just what they are for?Also did a bit of jumping on desks and slurping from coffee cups...they haf great puppicinos there you nose
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    OMD Bertie that is wonderfurs!!! Congrats on the first and I trust it will not be the last, as you showed that you are dog of office quality!!! Hugs and wags ,YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. BERTIE darlin' at the ripe of age of 13 not much surprises me but dang it good buddy I'm baffled beyond words at your presence being unnoticed. How could anyone in their right mind not notice your cuteness and most of all your WFT tail? Oh well their loss...
    at least the boss is observant.
    hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  8. They ignored you! What kind of place is that!
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my dogness, how could anyone ever ignore YOU? I think your mom might wanna rethink her workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, Bertie, I think you have it wrong. They didn't doubt your credentials -- they were in AWE of you and too afraid to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Bertie!
    Wow, you got to go to work with Gail! That's super. Can't imagine anyone ignoring you. Maybe Casey's right. They were properly in awe. BOL If Mom took me to work, I'd probably try to bash someone. ahem.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, All American Mutt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you! you got to go to work with your Mom! Silly peeps to ignore you like that - how rude. I would love to go to work with mom - and eat the french fries they make there! BOL!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are glad Gail took you to work but we are just dumbfounded that you were ignored! How is that even pawsible? And were all those rules really necessary? Mom told me when she had to take a doggie to work once that the doggie got to run all over the place like crazy and all the people loved it. We think those are the correct rules!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    PS - Watch for the addition of our "BAR" page on Wednesday so the latest information on the Blogville Awesome Retreat in June 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We think your Mama's work totally missed out by ignoring your expertise!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only explanation for them ignoring you is they thought you could be their replacements! BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ignored, how dare they. But at least you got a nice walk afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you are the first dog I know who has been invited to that mysterious place called "the office". My assistant speaks of it, too, though usually in not a very happy tone. Doesn't look like much fun to me, but I'm glad at least one person had the good sense to make a big fuss over you.

    ReplyDelete