Thursday 3 July 2014

A Good Team Player…or the Weakest Link?

I had a peek at Gail's email yesterday - fellow pups, don't pretend you never do the same - and was most excited to see this from one of our of the trainers at Deeside Dog Agility Club.

Hi Gail

Since you are not on Facebook, I thought I'd email you to ask whether you would be interested in being part of the Deeside team aiming to qualify for Crufts?

The format is a team of 4 dogs/handlers (+ up to 2 reserves) running an agility course in relay with the winners of the qualifying heat progressing to Crufts 2015. The qualifying heat is on Saturday 23rd of August at the Scottish Kennel Club Show in Ingliston, Edinburgh. Crufts is early March 2015 at the NEC in Birmingham. If you were wanting to be part of the team, you would be committing to attend the SKC show and, hopefully, Crufts should you qualify.

At present, the Medium team consists of Jeri + Burns, Alison + Maddie and Yvonne + Phoebe. We hope to add Denise + Scally (yet tbc) and yourself to make up the team + 1 reserve.

It should be noted that a relay is not simply about speed, with consistency and an ability to not get eliminated being important components of a good team.

Let me know what you think. I'll be at training tomorrow night so give me a shout if you want to chat it through. The closing date for entry is ~15/7.

Thanks and regards.

….

Oh my goodness I am so flattered. Imagine me at Crufts! I am going to be a star. What could possibly stop me?

You can trust my human to pour cold water on a pup's dreams of glory.

Gail is pointing out that there are rather few medium sized dogs in our club, in fact probably only five, so making the team is nothing to bark about. Also, rather nastily I thought, she mentions the minor detail that I have yet to be promoted from Grade 1, the lowest level of agility, so may not exactly be considered an asset to a team otherwise comprised of high achievers.

Still, she agreed we could take part.

Neither Gail nor I are sure of the rules for an agility relay. I will admit that at least two of the dogs in the team are, to put it diplomatically, not my best friends, and, on mature consideration, I don't think I would be prepared to engage with them in mouth-to-mouth baton passing.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how it all works?

25 comments:

  1. Hi Bertie,

    It is always good to have a goal. Remind Gail that this could be just the incentive you both need to reach Grade 1 and above as it seems one of you two (not mentioning any names) is taking agility training less seriously than the other!

    Woofs,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riley, you have understood the situation perfectly!

      Delete
  2. Bertie, you need to get working on Gail's directions and stuff, so she won't hamper you!

    We say congratulations to you....you could have just been in Reserve.

    XXXOOO Bella Roxy & Dui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail suspects that the fifth dog was not available...

      Delete
  3. It do sound like fun. But be careful if dere are mouth-to-mouth baton passin, sometimes when toys go mouth-to-mouth round here it ends up wif me and Finley doing bitey face which would probably slow ya down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll she has no excuse to up her training schedule now....we all know you are perfect Bertie....she just needs to keep up with you right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have already been promised (threatened?) extra training sessions.....
      Gail.

      Delete
  5. Crikey I'm soooooo excited for you Bertie. You gotta do it, mate. Don't let Gail hold you back. You can do it by yourself if necessary. Just watch the bloke before you and off you go .... It could be a first for Crufts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good plan Bertie we are behind you and Crufts will never be the same, it could use the shake up

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hari OM
    Does this help?

    Firstly, important to note that the handler can be eliminated. So Gail really must pay attention on those extra training runs. Secondarily important; there does appear to be a baton involved, but am thinking that is for the handlers..? Otherwise Bertie, you will have to beware the first importance as applied to the fourleg partner in the team.

    Oh this is gonna be fun - can I buy tickets? I'll use the new tram thingy......... hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are really coming up in the world. Our friend William was "best in opposite sex" of the whippets at Westminster and now you are going to Crufts! We are so excited.

    gus n teka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail strongly doubts that we will progress beyond the Edinburgh heat...

      Delete
  9. Bertie - Beware. If you go to Crufts you'll come back to Aberdeen Champion of Champions !

    ReplyDelete
  10. We think that YOU will be Brilliant... just remember to POTTY Gail FURST... otherwise she will be pooping in the middle of the relay... and YOU will then be disqualified fur HER behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MOL MOL MOL Frankie ALWAYS comes up with the bestest solutions!! Bertie it appears Gail is the weak link in your team of two.
    Might I suggest you and your gorgeous tail enter on your own...I know that tail will not steer your wrong.
    Sincerely Madi your biggest Feline fan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Bertie, how exciting!! Finally having your talent recognized! I know that you'll do well and we'll be cheering for you at Crufts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So proud of you Bertie ... Mom is way too untalented for us to even give it a shot. You're gonna be famous worldwide like Lily and Edward!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No matter how it turns out, you will always be glad you gave it a try! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was my first thought too! Bertie at Crufts!!! YAY! I'm as eggsided as you! I can't wait to see you at Crufts! ... can you wagg with your tail for me when you run through the ring?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's about time Bertie
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Bertie! What an honour! I can only try to imagine what this must feel like. I would suggest however we keep all contact with one Horatio Nelson to a minimum in the meantime, least his bad ways should influence. Many congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mum's ALWAYS wanted to go to Crufts. She reckons if you're going to be there she's flying over from Australia to see you!!!! NO SHE'S NOT!!!!!!! I'd have to go to boarding school.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant! You'll have a great time! I know Jerri and Burns :) Might see you there as I am competing in the Small Teams.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bertie-
    It sounds very grand and we will be cheering you on. Does your team need some cheerleaders? We shake a mean pom-pom (not to be confused with a Pomeranian dog, sometimes called a Pom)

    Wyatt and Stanzie

    ReplyDelete